SAFE Bar Network
"If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else." - 5 Leadership Tips
There is a well-known quote from the baseball player Yogi Berra that goes, "If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else." The same is true for workplace culture. Whether you are active in it or not, culture is always being created so let’s be the kind of leaders who set the culture.
At the SAFE Bar Network, we have the absolute pleasure of working with some of the best managers in the business. We’ve learned that creating a workplace culture where people thrive and customers keep coming back really hinges on the work of great managers.
We have 5 tips, from our friends, to be the manager that creates a positive, fun, and effective workplace.
1. Trust and be someone people trust. In a fast-paced environment, you can build trust quickly by being willing to learn. You can maintain trust by being consistent.
“Hire the best, train thoroughly, and help them solve problems.” - Jayme
2. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. It can be as easy as listening to your team and helping to solve problems.
“A great manager is understanding of my life and responsibilities outside of work, they are able to joke with me but also realize that they are my manager at the end of the day” - Jose
3. Encourage accountability. You have to lead by example. Be proactive, when issues arise have a conversation focused on solving the problem before it becomes a bigger problem.
“As a manager, I try to work alongside my coworkers as a leader. I do my best to be proactive rather than reactive.”
4. Connection. Show genuine concern for people and let them know when they are doing a good job.
“Take care of them and they’ll take care of you,” – Sam
5. Support. Let them know that you have their back if they go out on a limb and things don’t quite go as planned.
“Where I work part of working hard is checking on people and getting involved if I think something isn’t right. I’m able to do that because I know I have the full support of managers.” - Brandy
To learn more about joining the SAFE Bar Network contact us at email@example.com
There are everyday active bystanders practicing the skills to keep people safe every day. Watch their stories here, Everyday Active Bystanders.
To learn more about active bystander skills check out our blog post, Obstacles. What obstacles? 3 Full Proof Everyday Active Bystander Skills.
The SAFE Bar Network is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) you can join the team by donating your time, talent, and money to the mission of giving everyone a SAFE Night Out, just click here.
Interested in learning more about bystander intervention? Visit our friends at With Us Center for Bystander Intervention.
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment our partners can help. Visit MOCSA.org and RAINN.org
To learn more about the field of violence response and prevention visit PreventConnect.org and NSVRC.org