SAFE Bar Network
If 2021 Didn't Feel Like a Fresh Start, We Have 7 Tips To Jump Start it Now.
Do you feel like you are in the fifth quarter of 2020?
The new year is so often a time to reset. A time for fresh starts, new goals, and renewed energy. For so many of us 2021 has started off with uncertainty, especially as COVID-19 restrictions tighten and ease, and that uncertainty can leave us feeling stressed, anxious, and powerless.
What you are feeling is normal because as humans we want to feel a sense of control. While many things remain out of your control your approach to facing and coping with uncertainty is all your own. We have 7 tips for control, calm, and confidence in coping with the unknown.
1. Be kind to yourself. Everyone deals with stress differently. Remember that you are on your own journey. You got this!
2. Give yourself credit. Think about the ways that you have successfully coped with stress in the past and try them now.
3. Stay positive. Break the habit of over-thinking negative events by starting a gratitude journal or focusing on the things you can control.
4. Make healthy routines. Make an effort to eat well, exercise, sleep and connect with people who make you feel good.
5. Take a break from the news. The news may be stressing you out more. Try limiting your news intake especially right before bed.
6. Control what you can. Find simple ways to feel in control by making a meal plan, laying out your clothes, and trying a bullet journal.
7. Get support. Social support is important when we’re feeling stressed. Tell someone you trust what you are going through.
It may seem strange but in times of calm taking risks will help you build the confidence to face the stress of uncertainty in the future.
What risks are you willing to take?
At the SAFE Bar Network, we partner with bars and other alcohol-serving venues to create a culture that supports people in taking risks and using active bystander skills to increase safety. If you have a favorite bar, restaurant or nightclub encourage them to join the SAFE Bar Network. They can learn more at www.safebarnetwork.org
There are everyday active bystanders practicing the skills to keep people safe every day. Watch their stories here, Everyday Active Bystanders.
The SAFE Bar Network is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) you can join the team by donating your time, talent, and money to the mission of giving everyone a SAFE Night Out, just click here.
To learn more about active bystander skills check out our blog post, Obstacles. What obstacles? 3 Full Proof Everyday Active Bystander Skills.
Interested in learning more about bystander intervention? Visit our friends at With Us Center for Bystander Intervention.
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment our partners can help. Visit MOCSA.org and RAINN.org
To learn more about the field of violence response and prevention visit PreventConnect.org and NSVRC.org